Thursday, January 24, 2008

Enough Already

January has been post-lite for me. It's all related to residing in the house o' plague. Little A's illness alone ate three weeks of our lives: a week when we thought it was just a bad cold and tried to manage it with doctor's visits, then the week when it was officially double pneumonia and she was hospitalized, and another week after that where she was at home, but I was giving her nebulizer treatments (five times a day), antibiotics (three times a day), and steroids (twice a day). There really wasn't time between medical treatments for anyone to do much of anything else.

So then Little A was ok again. Yay! Except I was sick with something I caught in the hospital by then and my doctor was afraid it was a super bug, so she gave me what she referred to as the "big-gun, super-serious antibiotics." Which did help clear up my ragged lungs, but only after making me nauseous and dizzy for days.

Meanwhile Big A was seriously acting out because Little A's hospital stay had frightened her. She began throwing fits like an overgrown toddler. I tried to be patient and give her lots of extra attention. I tried ignoring all but the most rude or obnoxious behavior. And if her antics were confined to daylight hours I probably could have gutted it through with more grace and kindness than I have. But oh, those nights. Her nocturnal shit fits have been driving DH and I insane. Multiple wake ups per night where no cuddle, kind word, or glass of water mollifies. After waking her sister and parents up she eventually quiets down enough to be put in the parental bed, but then she can only sleep with one hand jammed into my ribs and one foot shoved up DH's bum. Repositioning either appendage results in her waking and howling again.

Big A was finally getting back to normal when we she started complaining about an ear ache. We treated with tylenol for a few days but it wasn't going away on its own. So back to the doctor's office we went.

"Her ears look fine," World's Best Pediatrician said. "But I'm a little worried about this rattle I'm hearing on the left side of her chest." A treatment of albuterol in the office didn't change the rattle. So off across town for an Xray, which confirmed that Big A now has pneumonia in one lung.

The good news is we caught it early and Big A is doing well on antibiotics. It doesn't look like we are hospital-bound again. But if one more freaking thing happens this month, I swear that my head will explode. ENOUGH, already!

4 comments:

meg said...

Oh my goodness. I hope Big A is feeling better soon. January sounds just horrible!

Julia said...

This is my first comment here, so I wanted to say how sorry I am about your year from hell.

And this January sounds pretty crappy too. I hope antibiotics do their jobs pronto and both girls are happy and healthy soon. And you get some sleep.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you had to deal with all that. We've been through a lot with O, and he was in the hospital a couple of times over the past two winters, and it was truly awful. The staff were wonderful, but the scene was just as you described it. I also recently had a really difficult couple of months due to my own health issues and just a lot of calamity, and I can so relate to wondering what's next. I'm in a much better place now though, and I hope that turns out to be true for you as well.

Aurelia said...

I'm sorry I wasn't here earlier to read this Wabi. I don't know why, but you got unsubscribed from my bloglines.

I really hope the kiddos are okay and feeling much much better soon. You have had enough to deal with!