Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Twinkle twinkle, little shoes


I have always been a sensible shoes kind of lady. Not only because I lived halfway up one of the innumerable hills of San Francisco for nearly nine years and wearing dainty spike heals there could send you sliding off a curb to your death (though that certainly bolstered my tastes). It's just that I've always had a finicky arch on my left foot, and wearing any sort of fancy shoe tends to give me chronic foot cramps. So I ended up with a closet full of trail sandals, hiking boots, and walking shoes. The few dress shoes I own are decidedly boring.

Which is why I can't believe that I just bought a pair of fancy shoes that I am excited about. It all started when I went to Nordstrom Rack to hunt kid clothes. These Via Spiga shoes called to me from the shelf across from the children's section. They are flats, but not dowdy. They make my ankles look skinny, and are so, so pretty. I was uncharacteristically smitten. And when I tried them on they actually felt comfy!


The only problem was that Nordstrom Rack only had one pair, and while they were my size, one of the rhinestones was missing from one shoe. But I couldn't stop thinking about those stupid shoes. They were twinkly toe stars. I am still in a state of post-baby body pudge, and so clothing doesn't do much for me these days, in terms of making me feel happy to get dressed. These shoes did, though. So last night I broke down and looked them up online. They are quite possibly the most money I have ever spent on a pair of shoes, and given that I now work part time out of the house AND hardly ever have the cash or a babysitter for a night out, it seems absolutely ridiculous to have them. But I just couldn't resist.

Ahhh, retail therapy. And I guess I can always wear them to the supermarket.

No comments: