Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Attack of the Zombie Yaks



This is my first week back at work since December. I went back too soon after Big A was born and felt all sorts of pissy and stressed. But this time I was actually sort of ready, looking forward to it, even. I felt sad dropping off Little A at daycare, but unlike the first time I ever left Big A at a babysitter, I managed not to cry hysterically at this milestone. I think it helped that Big A was insanely thrilled that Little A is now old enough to go to the babysitter with her. We laid Little A down on the floor with some toys and Big A puffed out her chest and loudly told all the other children "Now don't you step on MY BABY!" (Because the only person allowed to step on Little A is Big A herself, of course.) And then I felt like it was ok to leave the two kids there and go back to work.

As for Little A, she remains the same happy little bugger as ever. But daycare seems to be messing with her sleep schedule. Today I picked her up at the end of the day and found out she had skipped her mid-afternoon nap because it was too fascinating to stare at the other kids. She fell asleep for a few minutes while I drove home, but woke up immediately when we arrived at our door and then she was ready to party again. Two hours later we were eating dinner and Little A was still going strong, waving her arms from the bouncy seat and cooing away.

"What are you trying to say to us, my little insomniac?" I asked her.

Big A looked up from her dinner with a furrowed brow. "Momma?"

"Yes?" I said.

"Why is Little A a zombie yak?"

No comments: